Using Equity Cap font but want to change to lower sentence case in TOC. How to?

I have created a template for briefs—no surprise or difficulty there. I created it using Equity B font with rich header styles. As you know, unlike most system fonts, Equity B has a separate font for capitalization.

I want to see if I can create a TOC that follows the Solicitor General of the US format for Sup Ct briefs. That office uses sentence case for the .TOC, even if the Headings in the brief are capitalized and often bold.

It would be simple enough to create the sentence case conversion in the TOC if one were to type the headings in either sentence case or lower case with each word capitalized. But to do that, one must select “all caps” in the font selector with Equity Regular as the font in which the headings are typed. The problem with that is that Word does not select Equity Caps. Instead, Word uses an algorithm to artificially generate capital letters with the resulting terrible look of scrunched-up letters that using Equity Caps avoids.

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to have Word call up Equity Caps when either small caps or all caps are chosen?

2. Is there a fix short of creating a visual basic coding to accomplish this?

Creating a TOC field or modifying the TOC field to { TOC \o “1-4” \ U * Lower* Caps } seems to work to some extent. Since the original font is in Equity Caps (all caps), the resulting lowercase seems to be in Equity Caps, small caps. But I would like to see if I can get it to Equity Regular sentence case.

Any suggestions?

Of course, to respond to my own question - another way of doing what I want to do is to convert the TOC to text, mark the text, convert to Equity Regular, then change the text to sentence case using the change case function.

Of course, this should be one of the last things you do to the brief; otherwise, you would have to do it each time you update the TOC.

Why does this not suffice? —

1. Type your headings in sentence case.

2. Format your heading style with Equity Caps B (as the font) and All Caps (as the case transformation). This makes the headings capitalized using Equity Caps B.

3. Generate your TOC from the headings as usual. They will be in sentence case. Adjust the TOC styles as you prefer.

Because using Equity Regular - lowercase - results in a cramped All Caps in the headers. Word does not use or call Equity Caps when All Caps or Small Caps are selected if the font is Equity Regular. Instead, Word uses the same algorithm to create the all-caps and lowercase as it would if a systems font were being used that does NOT have a separate Caps font. This negates the benefits of using Equity B Caps.

Yes, using Equity B regularly and then having the Word capitalize the text will work where I want to revert back to lowercase in the TOC. But you then don’t get the benefits of Equity Caps.

Word, when selecting all caps where the font is Equity Regular, does NOT invoke Equity Caps.

I just checked it. Tyle a sentence “this is lower case” using Equity B regular. Then go to “font” under “format” in Word and select All Caps, where the font shows as Equity B regular. Notice that it capitalizes the sentence, but it is still Equity Regular. Now select that same sentence that is now capitalized and select the font Equity B Caps. Notice the difference.

Right. That’s why I suggest formatting the heading with Equity Caps B, not Equity Text B.

That’s correct, but then it won’t automatically convert the headers in Equity Caps to Equity B Regular. Which is fine; I was trying to see if there was a way to convert from Equity B Caps to Equity B Regular in the TOC automatically.

Since it makes sense to use Equity Caps it looks like there is only one way to accomplish converting the TOC to Equity B Regular sentence case. I can convert the TOC, a field, to text (ctr shift f9), mark the TOC text, apply Equity B Regular, and convert it to sentence case. But that is an inelegant way of doing it.

The TOC has its own styles that you can control separately through the Styles pane. In the example below, which is my (possibly incorrect) interpretation of what you intend, the heading is typed in sentence case, but the heading is Equity A Caps (transformed to All Caps) and the TOC is Equity A. After the styles are adjusted, all of this happens automatically as you update the document.

"[quote=“mbutterick, post:7, topic:166”]
“the heading is typed in sentence case, but the heading is Equity A Caps (transformed to All Caps) and the TOC is Equity A”
[/quote]

I can’t recreate this. When I type lowercase and select all caps, it does not convert to Equity B Caps but, instead, converts to scrunched-up uppercase Equity b regular as if I had typed it in, say, Century in the system fonts. I’m using Word for Mac.

I set up TOC styles for each level of the headers. However, I can’t upload the template or any Word document on this system, so here is a rough recreation. What you can’t see is that typing in lowercase equity b does not convert to equity Caps when all caps is selected. Nor does typing in lowercase using Equity B caps create lower case text - it created small caps text that does change to all caps Equity b caps when all caps is selected.

Table of Contents

SUMMARY OF THE ARGUMENT (Header 1 typed lowercase equity b regular but set at all caps in font selection) 1

1… This is typed in lowercase. equity b caps… 1

1.1 This is typed in lowercase (equity b) 1

[Text of document with headers that TOC style created]

SUMMARY OF THE ARGUMENT ( Header 1 typed lowercase equity b regular but set at all caps in font selection)

1. This is typed in lowercase. equity b caps

1.1 This is typed in lowercase (equity b)

1.2 This is h3

As I mentioned above — in your heading style, to achieve this effect you need to do two things in the style definition: change the font to Equity B Caps, and change the case transformation to All Caps. You say that All Caps will not automatically invoke Equity B Caps as the font — true. But you can still select it explicitly.

This lowercase is typed lowercase equity a.

THIS LOWERCASE IS TYPED LOWERCASE EQUITY A BUT ALL CAPS SELECTED IN FONT SELECTION.

This is typed in lowercase with Equity Caps A selected

THIS IS TYPED IN LOWERCASE WITH EQUITY CAPS A SELECTED BUT ALL CAPS SELECTED IN FONT SELECTION.

It may not be clear in this post, but in Word the lowercase typing using Equity A regular is scrunched-up whereas the typing in lowercase when Equity A Caps is selected and then all Caps in font selection renderers a nicely spaced Equity Caps A

Dang! You are absolutely right! It makes me wonder where my head is. Typing the header in lowercase when Equity B Caps is selected in the style puts it in Equity Caps. But if the TOC header is set to Equity B. regular and Caps or small caps is NOT selected in the TOC style, it works like a charm. It is obvious but I missed it.

This is the first time I have spent any times creating custom styles for a TOC. The simplist solution is often the best and I just missed it.

Thanks.

I have to add that what got me started on this quest was the strange case of the US Solicitor General using sentence case with no bolding in the TOC section of briefs filed with the Supreme Court.

The second thing was reading a series of postings by clerks and former clerks for Judges and Justices. They made clear that judges read the table of contents just before oral arguments as a sort of summary of the brief and arguments.

Thus, taking pains to make the headers pithy and formatting the TOC so that they are readable led me to try to create styles for the headers and styles for the TOC that accomplish this.

Here is what a brief using the template we have been talking about looks like. Text is randomly selected from an Amicus brief filed with SCOTUS.
Document13.pdf (168.7 KB)

Sorry. Uploaded one that was not formatted properly.
Document13.pdf (119.1 KB)

Almost there. If you want proper small caps in the headings using Equity B Caps, then you must turn off the Small Caps transformation, because this just shrinks the caps to make fake small caps. Equity B Caps already has small caps in the lowercase slots, so no case transformation is needed to get the right result.

Done! Thanks. That was left over from my many changes in this template.

Working with a font set with separate caps is different from working with one that does not. Using Word’s font effect selection does different things with a separate caps font. These differences affect how the fonts operate in the body of the text and using TOC styles to do more than just copy the headers.

Later today I’ll see if I can articulate a protocol based on what I have learned. This is a prime example of learning through mistakes. I’m pretty sure that most people are not aware of these differences and that understanding them will make their work and use of separate cap fonts more effective. For example, if the text is typed in sentence case, selecting small caps while using Equity B Caps does not render real small caps. But selecting all caps does render real Equity B Caps . At least my test in the test brief using my template did this. So, typing in sentence case so that one can effectively use a TOC requires knowing that selecting small caps in Word’s effect selector while Equity Caps does NOT produce real small caps but selecting all caps does render all uppercase in Equity Caps.