How do you print using Adobe PostScript?

I searched the internet but couldn’t find easy way to print pdf docs using Adobe Postscript. Some say that you can find it in “advance” setting in the print, but when I go there I see the option but it’s not available. Can somebody help?

update 1: I came to know that a .ps file can be sent to postscript printer and the printer will print it. How to do it I dont know.

tushar786,

Your message is a bit vague. You didn’t mention what application you used to create a PostScrip file to begin with.

It is possibly to actually program in PostScript as it is defined as a “Page Description Language” but I know of no one who would actually do that. Thus, it is NOT a file format but a pure text file that contains any PostScript language syntax in about any order.

By far the best way to create a PostScript file is to use Pages, Word, or any other text editor and export the file as a PDF, or ‘Portable Document Format’, which has it contents in PostScript syntax internally.

For those who may not know this a ‘Portable Document Format’ file, in PostScript syntax, also includes a complete list of all the font files used and saved internally inside the file so it needs nothing else to duplicate the original when it is printed or sent to the other side of the planet. It will always come out looking like the original.

That’s why you can send a PostScript PDF file to someone who may not even have the same fonts on their computer and it will still print with the original fonts it was created with. Ah, so that’s how that works?

Just sayin’,

MaxClass

sorry about that. I had used Pages.

Ok I got it. So when I export the documents as PDF, how do I print it on a Postscript Printer. Please note that the reason I’m doing this is because on MB website it is written that Postscript Printer are gold standard on best quality prints.

tyshar786,

The answer to your question is simple. If you use pages, I assume you are a Mac user like me. I’ve been a Mac user since 1985, or for the past 35 years.

If you have any PDF file on a Mac, whether you created it or someone else did, just double click on it and it will open by default in the application ‘Preview’.

Preview will allow you to look through any PDF document out there. Once open, go to the ‘File’ menu and select ‘Print’ and you’re good to go.

Hint to all Mac users: On a Mac you can click once on almost any icon to select it, then press the space bar to view it. Pressing the space bar again will close it. The Finder knows how to display most file types including Pages, Word, PDF, png, jpg, text clippings, etc. You can use this little know trip to view most files without actually opening an application. Try it. It’s one of my favorite tricks.

That’s all there is to it.

MaxClass

Ok… Then why MB has recommended to buy Postscript printer? I’m about to invest to buy Poscript printer.
https://practicaltypography.com/printers-and-paper.html

tushar786,

Don’t worry about whether or not you have a ‘PostScript’ printer. Virtually every print on the market today will print your PDF or PostScript file just fine.

The higher the resolution of your printer the better looking your documents will come out. PostScript is resolution independent. A single point (moveto in PostScript) such as, 84.791 261.481 m, is located on a page with 1,000 of an inch as are all other points in a document.

I own an HP Laser writer and an Epson ET-4760 Eco Tank printer and both print any PostScript/PDF file beautifully. All the magic happens behind the scenes so you don’t have to worry about it. Just open any PDF file in Preview and print it. That’s all there is to it and it will come out beautifully.

Of coarse, if you have one of the apps like the different versions of Adobe Reader, those will also handle any PostScript/PDF file you hand it, but, for most PDF files you do not need the Adobe apps. I don’t have any Adobe apps on my Mac and have no need of them.

Relax, and enjoy your documents.

MaxClass

Ok… Then why MB has recommended to buy Postscript printer? I’m about to invest to buy Postscript printer.
https://practicaltypography.com/printers-and-paper.html

tushar786,

You can’t go wrong with a Laser Postscript Printer, that’s for sure, but, if you primarily print regular documents that get presented to regular people, meaning those who are not typographically savvy and only read what’s printed on them and can’t tell a serif font from a san-serif font, and frankly couldn’t care less, then do you really need to pay the extra cost involved.

Spending $300+ on a good printer is worth it in the long run. Most good laser printers with a full cartridge will give you upwards of 3,000 copies so much less expensive than a color printer with ink cartridges, unless it’s one with refillable color tanks.

Best of luck.

MaxClass

Maybe you are correct, but I like to do good work. And for the laser printer that I’m about to buy, the printer has three drivers Postscript, PCL 6, UFR II. If I install all three, how can I print through Postscript driver. or it doesn’t matter?

That’s what I thought.