Double Spacing Adjustments?

Hi,

I’m preparing a writing sample for grad school applications. Many schools ask that the writing sample be double spaced. I’m wondering what changes should take place in terms of margin size, indentation, or anything else, when required to make a document double-spaced. Is there a revised recommendation for how many characters should go on each line? Thanks!

So for double spacing in Word use “exactly 24 pt.” if 12 pt. font which most school papers are. If using a diff font size just double it with the “exactly” setting. In terms of margins 1.5" right and left gives you a 45-90 character line length with 12 pt font, but this depends on the font use.

Here is my recommendation: Set your right and left margins to 1.5" and type: “abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz” and if you can do 2-3 with the third breaking somewhere before the third “z” you are fine. I like it to break at the “m.” That is right in the middle of @mbutterick recommended line length of 45-90 characters with spaces.

I don’t understand the question. The number on line length is 45-90 characters with spaces.

Never mind, I re-read and understand. I don’t know truthfully the exact number. I just know that if the line breaks somewhere before the third “z” you are within the recommended line length. I like the third “m” just because in the book that was where the example broke lol. So, I use that as my “North Star” of line length so to speak. But, if you want a number, it is between 45-90 characters with spaces.

How do you like Equity?

The proper term for line spacing is “Leading”, pronounced like the element lead. It’s a hold over from the old days of lead type where they would add think sheets of lead between lines of text to open up the spacing.

I use Affinity Publisher exclusively which has a live view of leading as you make the adjustment. Select a paragraph, or all the text, and as you slide up and down the leading popup you get instant visual feedback of how the document, or any part of it, is changing.

Once you have it where it looks right, just update the Style and it’s done. I always remember that probably 98% of the people who end up with our documents have no idea of the techniques we use to create them. They just know they look professional.

There’s an old phrase in the printing industry that, “Printers print for printers”. They know the general public typically has no idea what went on behind the scenes but any other printer will spot the slightest imperfections in anything they print instantly.

As typographers, we too, instantly notice even the smallest mistakes that general word processor users make. Even little things like kerning, double spaces between sentences, wrong single and double quote character, wrong use of three periods in place of an ellipsis, etc.

As suggested, you don’t always have to use exactly twice the point size of the font as fonts very in height but it’s a good starting point. Use what appears best on the page.

If you start documents with a template you’ve created, and you have created a set of basic
Styles like “Body”, also create a Style named “Body Double”, no pun intended, with your desired double spacing value. Then you’ll always have it at your finger tips when you need it. If “Body Double” is based on “Body” then if you change “Body” it will adjust “Body Double” as well. At least that’s how it works in Affinity Publisher which also allows for fractional values too.

Hope this is helpful.

MaxClass

1 Like